The owners of 185-189 High Street received a grant to carry out comprehensive fabric repairs to their building. This included the roof, a rear building and the shopfronts.
Formerly known as the Cross Keys Inn, this building is famous for it’s connection with Rabbie Burns. He spent the first night of his Highland Tour here on 25th August 1787 before visiting the grave of Sir John de Graeme in the Parish Churchyard.
The Cross Keys remained in business until the 1960s, after which it became used for retail.
A number of issues were addressed during the THI-supported building works, including leaks in the roof, loose render and large-scale vegetation growth at the rear of the property. The Burns plaque has been repaired and the original colour scheme has been reinstated, which includes real gold leaf gilding. Works have been carried out to a conservation standard and should help protect this building for many years to come.