11-17 Kirk Wynd & 2 Manor Street

11 – 17 Kirk Wynd & 2 Manor St is one of the ‘priority projects’ of the THI. The fourteen owners of this property agreed to apply for the grant which was available to carry out essential repairs to their property. The roof, which is the most inaccessible part of any building, was found to…

Tattie Kirk

Originally built as a church in 1806, this building’s unusual octagonal shape is unique to Falkirk, but not to Scotland. Similar churches can be found in Kelso and Dundee. A number of churches were built in this shape, but why? Some say it was so that there was ‘no corner for the Devil to hide…

44A Vicar Street

The shop unit at 44A Vicar Street was originally two shops but the properties have been joined at some point in the past. The modern shopfront which existed before the THI grant-aided works was not in keeping with the proportions of the original shopfronts or the building that it sat within. The signage area at…

20 – 24 Kirk Wynd

20 - 24 Kirk Wynd was a vacant property which was formerly known as Austin's Sports Bar. With the assistance of a THI grant, the upper floors of the building have been converted into residential use. This is the only THI grant funded project that is specifically designed to bring vacant floor space back into…

195 – 203 High Street

These five shops and the building that they sit within have been comprehensively repaired and improved. The roof of the building has been re-slated, leadwork has been repaired and renewed, stonework has been repaired and re-pointed and rainwater goods have been repaired. The chimneys have been repaired and windows have been reinstated to their original…

183 High Street

183 High Street (High Street News) has been awarded a THI grant to repair the exterior of the property and to reinstate a traditional shopfront. During the course of the repair works a previous shop sign and decorative paintwork was uncovered. This sign will be retained behind the new shopfront signage, preserving this feature into…

32-36 Newmarket Street

32-36 Newmarket Street is the first of our Small Building Repair Projects to start on site. We do not know when the building was built, but plans were made for alterations to the building in 1914 by architect James Strang and in 1938 by James Gavin Callander. Repairs to the building include external fabric repairs to…
  • Completed 1

  • Completed 1 – Copy

  • 9-11 Vicar Street

  • Newmarket Street with half of 9-11 Vicar Street

  • Google 9-11 Vicar Street 2

  • Lamp can be seen above 9-11 Vicar Street on right

  • 9-11 Vicar Street Crop

9-11 Vicar Street

9-11 Vicar Street is the second of our 'Priority Projects' to start on site. The building was erected in 1870 and was initially used as Parish Council Offices. The Historic Environment Scotland listing describes it thus: Circa 1870. Renaissance, 2-storey 5 window, channelled ground floor with pilastered openings, central arched doorpiece with pediment. 1st floor…
  • IMG_1224

  • IMG_1225

  • P27363

  • 6-8 Cow Wynd 1

  • P10665

  • Work in progress

  • 6-8 Cow Wynd – Copy

6-8 Cow Wynd

Thomas Johnston butchers at 6 - 8 Cow Wynd is one of the oldest buildings at the High Street end of the wynd. It was identified as one of the ‘Priority Projects’ of the THI and is now complete! This is the first of our ‘Priority Projects’ to commence on-site and it incorporates a new,…